KCMA Door Operation Test
Door Racking and Hinge Set
Purpose: to test ability of the door, hinges, cabinet and attachment means to withstand abnormal loading.
A. Mount base cabinet according to manufacturer’s instructions. Do not use the door used in the 5.5 test. Tighten screws if necessary. Record shape of door with adjustable square and set measuring device at M (see drawing) before application of weight.
B. With door at 900 0pen position, slowly apply 29.5 kg (65 pounds) of weight on door (14.75 kg or 32.5 pounds on each side), 254 mm (10 inches) from center of hinges.
C. Slowly operate the door through 10 cycles from 90° open t0 20° open and returning to the 900 0peri position. Door must remain so weighted for 10 minutes. At end of test period, remove Weight from door, wait ten minutes and remeasure door.
1. Door shall retain its original shape and shall show no visible sign of damage. Door shall resist a racking load of 748 kg.cm (650 inch-pounds).
2. The amount of set at point M shall not exceed 1.65 mm (0.065 inch).
3. Hinges shall show no visible sign of damage.
4. Connections between cabinet-and-hinge and door-and-hinge shall show no sign of looseness.
Door, Door-Holding Devices, and Hinge operation
Purpose: To test ability of door, door-holding device, hinge, and attachment means to operate during normal usage.
A. Mount wall cabinet according to manufacturer’s instructions. The door-holding device (spring catch magnetic catch, self-closing hinges, or other) shall be part of this test.
B. Before testing, record the shape of the door with adjustable square or other device and record the door elevation (open 90°) at point M (See drawing) .
C. Attach cycling mechanism to door at normal operating position so that no additional loads are placed on hinges. One cycle shall consist of operation through 90° swing with full engagement and disengagement of holding device. Operate door through 25,000 cycles at a speed such that excessive heat through friction is not developed.
1. The door shall be operable and the door-holding device shall be adequate to hold door in closed position.
2. The door shape shall be the same as before the test, as recorded in B above.
3. The measurement at point M (sag) shall not exceed l.6 mm (0.065 inch).
4. Hinges shall show no visible sign of damage.
5. Connections between cabinet-and-hinge and door-and-hinge shall show no sign of looseness.